Humans have always created stories to try and make sense of the world. At Blue Planet, our American students join with students from other countries to create and share their own stories in a virtual Writers’ Room that we construct in cyberspace.
Over the course of a semester-long project, students connect with their new international friends through video conferencing, internet file sharing, email, and regular post. They engage in parallel activities that culminate in a final “product”–a book, a presentation, a short film–that allows the whole world to access their creativity.
Our Writers’ Room is a vibrant, safe, creative space that exists between cultures. Within it, our students use writing and the arts to learn about each other and teach about themselves.
Our students get to accomplish things together that cannot be done in real time or real space, because of distance, geography, and time zones. In our Writers’ Room, they get to do extraordinary things in extraordinary partnerships.
Check out our Project Showcase to see some of our great work.
Learn more about how to bring Blue Planet Writers’ Room to your location by clicking here.
The benefits they reap in this space, through this program, are many:
- They develop global competence—knowledge about the world outside their borders and the ability to navigate it confidently.
- They increase their tolerance for diversity as they learn about and celebrate the cultural differences—and similarities—that they discover.
- They learn to collaborate with their peers, both in the classroom and halfway around the world.
- They build their confidence and their public speaking skills as they present their work to their classmates and their international peers.
- They increase their ability to think and express themselves creatively, as they write, act, move, and make art.
- They learn to think critically as they analyze their own work and the work of others.
- They develop their writing skills, learning about story and poem structure, sentence mechanics, and effective revision.
- They develop their skills in various art forms: dance, drama, music, or visual art.